Frugal Friday: Taking Advantage of Holiday Clearance Sales

Frugal Friday is a new series that (I hope) will publish every, you guessed it, Friday. I have learned a great deal about ways to save money during the past 4+ years and I would like to share that information with you. I’ve added new options in the menu bar as well and hope to start adding posts to those columns soon. I hope you enjoy these posts.

money saving tips

Today’s Frugal Friday tip is very simple.

Take advantage of after holiday sales!

Now is the time to be hitting the stores to find deals on wrapping paper, ribbon, bows, paper products and so much more. A few years ago, I learned that Cascade put out dishwasher detergent with Christmas scents. These would come in large tubs and would be clearanced at Target after the holidays. I would often find these in the typical detergent section, not in the Christmas clearance section without clearance stickers on them. I often got them at 90% off which means I would get a $12 tub for about $1.20. I bought many of them and to this day I am still using them (granted, I think that was probably more like hoarding and you shouldn’t buy that many). But a few now, if you can find them but save some deals for others to find. It’s good karma.

You can also buy paper plates, paper towels and napkins with holiday themes on them. Does it really matter if you are using Christmas paper towels in April? Who really notices the patterns anyways? You can also buy red or green plates & cups now at a great reduction. Use those for birthday parties and save yourself some money when party time comes around.

Buy your wrapping paper right now. A few rolls can be saved easily under the bed for next year and will save you tons of money next December. The same can be said for buying tissue paper which can always be used as wrapping paper.

Learn From My Mistakes

It was very easy for me to buy far too much when I found a great deal. Wrapping paper at 25cents a roll is a great deal but buying 25 rolls is ridiculous. Buy what you’ll need for the next year and repeat the process each year. Don’t over spend and then have to deal with finding places to store the items.

The same rules for extreme couponing fall into place here.

Extra tip: look for coupons for your paper products, soaps and detergents that may have holiday packaging. Coupons work on them even when they are discounted for holiday clearance.

Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.

Disclosure: You should assume that I am an affiliate for providers of goods and services mentioned on this website. I may be compensated when you purchase after clicking on a link. I may also have received the product for free. Perform due diligence before purchasing from this or any other website.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

11 comments for “Frugal Friday: Taking Advantage of Holiday Clearance Sales

1. December 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I was excited to go shopping today, it’s only 4pm and I managed to spend all of the money I had put aside for today. I limited myself to only $120, and let me tell you with all the sales that went very far! I managed to get just about EVERYTHING for 50% or more off. One great thing to buy right after xmas… wrapping paper for next year! Seems a bit early, but at the end of the day you end up saving 90% sometimes.

(Quote)

2. December 29, 2012 at 12:45 am

I totally love post-holiday sales! Nice find on the Cascade….I wouldn’t have thought to look for holiday “flavors” like that. I’m ridiculous and gather up all the tissue paper before anyone has a chance to throw it away Christmas day, but we’ve definitely used the wrapping paper thing before.
    femmefrugality recently posted..Play with Free Virtual Makeovers

(Quote)

• January 4, 2013 at 10:46 pm

LOVED the Cascade tip when I read about it years ago but like most of what I do, I went overboard. I’m learned my lesson but I’m not complaining right now as I still have plenty of detergent. Maybe next Christmas, I’ll look to snag some again.

(Quote)

3. KK @ Student Debt Survivor
    Twitter: studebtsurvivor
    December 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I hope there’s still some holiday clearance when we head out to do our shopping tomorrow. Last year I was able to score a bunch of really nice Christmas clearance at Target. We have enough wrapping paper, but I would love to get some nice decorations.
    KK @ Student Debt Survivor recently posted..Our Son Is Clueless About Student Debt-Help!

(Quote)

• January 4, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I did buy a few ornaments for a project I’m working on (they are stars so not Christmasy) but for the most part I avoided all the deals. My tree has a section of lights out but I didn’t find it until I was taking it down (it’s also too big for my apartment) so I’m going to use it one more time and then plan to go out next Christmas for the after-holiday sales to snag an inexpensive tree.

(Quote)

4. December 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love when things are super cheap after a holiday. Have a good 2013!

(Quote)

• January 4, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I do too! But only if I need them or plan to very soon. I’ll be using the wrapping paper that was a great deal 5yrs ago for the next 5yrs! That was too much!

Here’s to a great 2013 for us all!

(Quote)

5. January 6, 2013 at 12:14 pm

This year, my post-holiday sale shopping was really about stocking up on winter gear. Where I live, winter’s basically already peaked, and stores are trying to clear out winter merchandise to make way for the spring stuff. We’re moving to a cold-weather climate later this year, so I need all those sweaters, boots, coats, mittens, etc. I stocked up on kids’ stuff at a 75% off sale on Dec. 26th. I was pretty pumped, because I got stuff I KNOW we’ll need at a GREAT price.

(Quote)